Attention, Finance Leaders!
Are you purpose-driven with strong accounting and controllership knowledge and experience? Are you seeking an opportunity to showcase your inclusive and collaborative leadership style within a motivated team? If so, consider this exciting opportunity to be the Assistant Controller and lead initiatives for the Ministry Accounting and Reporting Unit housed within the Fiscal Oversight and Performance Branch, Corporate Services Division at the Ministry of Health!
About the Ontario Public Service (OPS): We are one of the largest employers in the province, employing more than 60,000 people. Every day, we are modernizing government operations and improving public services. We have a wide range of meaningful and rewarding career opportunities in communities across Ontario. We welcome new ideas and new people, encourage learning and development, and reward achievement. No matter the position, we live the core values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness.
What a career in the OPS can offer: We are committed to be an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment. In addition to flexible work arrangements, a collegial and professional work culture, career growth and development and on-the-job training to help you succeed, we offer a competitive total compensation package, which includes an attractive salary, a defined benefit pension plan, a comprehensive health and dental plan, and much more.
Get to know us: The Corporate Services Division plays a vital role in supporting the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the Ministry of Long-Term Care (MLTC). With an annual budget of around $80 billion, it oversees critical areas of Fiscal & Business Planning, Accounting & Controllership, and Program Inventory.
The Ministry Accounting and Reporting Unit plays an important role in implementing a modern controllership and financial management framework by leading the ministry in establishing and maintaining an effective system of internal controls to ensure reliable financial reporting, compliance with policies & directives, and effective operations. The Unit provides subject matter expertise on a broad range of accounting & controllership standards, and oversees their effective implementation. We also provide oversight and control over corporate financial systems, lead the accounting & financial reporting functions, act as the ministry's corporate payment lead, lead the development of financial management reports, implement the annual Certificate of Assurance process, and develop and implement the Delegation of Financial Management Authority Framework.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful, and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-public-service-anti-racism-policy > and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ops-inclusion-diversity-blueprint > pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As the Assistant Controller, you will:
• lead a highly motivated and skilled team of controllership staff in providing timely and high-quality service and support to the ministry's program areas, senior management, and central agency stakeholders
• provide support and control for corporate financial systems such as the Integrated Financial Information System (IFIS), Transfer Payment Allocation System (TPAS), and Kingston Payment Allocation System (KPAS), including system upgrades and change management initiatives
• implement and monitor financial management policies, accounting standards, and general government accountability policies (except procurement)
• lead the ministry in establishing and maintaining an effective system of internal controls
• implement the ministry's Delegation of Financial Management Authority Framework
• lead the Certificate of Assurance & quality assurance processes
• liaise with Ontario Shared Services as the ministry's corporate payment & systems lead
• support the development of financial management reports and analysis for ministry programs and senior management
• demonstrate the leadership behaviours, attributes and mindset for leaders < https://www.ontario.ca/page/careers-ontario-public-service-leadership >, across the organization, to lead the OPS into the future and deliver our vision
How do I qualify?
Strategic Leadership Skills:
• You have leadership experience and the ability to inspire, engage, motivate, develop and mentor staff to deliver on results during on-going change and transformation.
• You are a collaborative leader and have incorporated the principles of inclusion and diversity across all elements of your management style.
• You have had success in motivating, and building relationships with, a diverse team of highly professional and technical staff.
• You have proven ability to establish priorities, identify critical issues, recommend options and meet tight deadlines.
Technical Expertise and Specialized Knowledge:
• You have experience with financial administration to lead strategic decision-making, controllership and financial planning activities.
• You have expert knowledge of general accounting theories and practices to coordinate, review and manage complex financial processes.
• You have knowledge of financial management, control and reporting information systems, processes and strategies.
• You have experience practising and applying modern controllership, quality assurance methods, and risk management practices.
Relationship and Stakeholder Management Skills:
• You have superior relationship management skills to develop and maintain collaborative relationships across multiple partners/organizations.
• You have experience identifying, resolving and clearly communicating strategic options to proactively support multiple client/ministry objectives.
• You are successful in building and maintaining professional relationships with staff, internal and external partners, and senior management to ensure a coordinated and consensus-driven approach.
• You have superior verbal and written communication skills, including presentation and briefing skills, to manage, and inform the public and all levels of management and staff on, diverse and complex issues.
*Be sure to check out the Manager Recruitment Unit's Application Preparation Guide for Aspiring Managers < https://tld-tbs.powtoon.com/public-powtoon/?public_link_token=6qbBsNO_kvWIRned8MfmpZr1aXZAyaEci_7EoJ0z33I&mode=movie > for tips on creating an impactful application!
Salary Range: $79,720 - $125,470 Per Year
- 1 Permanent, 438 University Ave, Toronto, Toronto Region
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 203525, by Thursday, September 28, 2023. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.