Director, Financial Planning and Risk Management
Director, Financial Planning and Risk Management
Competition # 329-23
Department: Finance and Risk Management
Posting Date: September 7, 2023
Salary Range: $104,262-$139,013
Reporting to the Executive Director, the incumbent is accountable for the provision of financial planning; preparation, support, and monitoring of the College budget, as well as the implementation of any new budgetary systems and procedures; and the development and preparation of statistical analysis and Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) reports. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with senior management in the planning development and monitoring of the College budget
- Planning and developing future budgets which will include the base budget, preparing documentation outline of all financial challenges and identifying areas of budget savings
- Preparing and presenting the annual College budget to the Board of Governors for approval
- Developing new approaches to the budget process ensuring the most efficient and effective allocation of resources
- Monitoring the annual College budget which includes analyzing and approving all budget transfers and supervising quarterly budget reviews
- Providing information and solutions on related budget issues to the Executive Director and VP of Finance & Corporate Services
- Working closely with the Registrar, VP of External Relations and Enrolment and the Deans on reviewing previous enrolment trends, program retention trends and changing market conditions, providing an enrolment forecast
- Developing the budget for all full time salaries and benefits
- Contributing to the financial stability of the College
- Completing analysis and costing including complete costs, program needs, staffing and overhead costs, etc.
- Developing analytical techniques to identify problem areas, waste and inefficiencies and implementing new methods
- Understanding and mitigating key elements of the College’s risk profile
- Monitoring all open legal issues involving the College and legal issues affecting the sector
- Overseeing the College’s insurance requirements ensuring appropriate insurance coverage is maintained
- Reviewing all complex legal documents and contracts and providing advice and strategic direction
- Advising and overseeing all privacy matters for the College, including Freedom of Information (FOI) requests
- Serving as the primary resource contact for the College with the Ministry of Colleges and Universities for financial issues
- Assisting managers in developing, submitting, and maintaining budgets
- Successfully completed a four-year postsecondary degree in Business Administration or related field of study
- A minimum of 9 years’ experience within the financial field, preferably in a college and/or public sector environment
- CPA (CMA, CGA or CA) would be preferred
- Must have good analytical skills, strong mathematical skills, and a background in budgeting/accounting
- Extensive leadership experience in financial and human resource management, including managing budgets effectively across multiple departments, financial reporting, setting up effective metrics and business processes
- Demonstrated experience partnering with an executive team, and a high level of written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to liaise effectively with key shareholders such as the Board of Governors
- Highly developed skills in finance, problem-solving and presentations
- Demonstrated extensive background in the financial area including financial analysis, financial reporting, asset/liability management and portfolio management with a thorough understanding of budgeting processes, financial accountability, procurement practices, risk management and business case development
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex financial concepts and models and the capacity to determine their potential impact on the financial operations and health of the College
- Political acuity to deal with ministry officials, politicians, and external shareholders
- Excellent grasp of computerized accounting systems, both mainframe and PC-based, and knowledge of how systems are designed, developed, implemented, and maintained
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. We invite applications from all qualified candidates and actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to persons of Indigenous ancestry, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, women and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. If you are contacted to participate in the interview, please advise the coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Georgian College has introduced FLEX Work for some positions.This position is currently eligible for Hybrid Work. FLEX Work agreements will be determined between the employee and manager when employment commences and may change in accordance with the FLEX Work guidelines. All employees are required to permanently reside in the province of Ontario.
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at www.GeorgianCollege.ca and apply by navigating to About Us and then to Career Opportunities.
Applications for this position must be received by 11:59 p.m. September 27, 2023. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.