Financial Auditor [CPA Development Program] | Auditeur(trice), états financiers [programme dév. CPA]
At the Office of the Auditor General of Canada (OAG), we serve Canadians with the intention of supporting their trust in our public institutions and continued excellence of our public service, one audit at a time. Consult our latest reports and their findings.
The OAG employs approximately 750 people at its head office in Ottawa and 4 regional offices (in Vancouver, Edmonton, Montréal and Halifax). These dedicated employees are brought together to transform Canada’s future and to serve Canada through leadership and partnerships. Specifically, we conduct independent audits and studies that provide objective information, advice, and assurance to Parliament, territorial legislatures, boards of Crown corporations, government, and Canadians.
Do you want challenging and meaningful work in an inclusive environment where professional development meets work-life balance? Welcome home! The OAG is the place you’ve been looking for. Here’s why:
- a workplace where we strive to remove and provide solutions to barriers related to the hiring process and accessibility, where we celebrate the diverse backgrounds and talents of our employees through open and inclusive dialogue
- recognition of your personal needs, both during and after work hours. For example, by offering:
- office-wide weekly half-day meeting-free period
- flexibility in regular working hours (for example, compressed daily working hours to allow for an extra day off every 2 weeks)
- virtual wellness events;
- reimbursement of annual dues from recognized professional bodies for designations such as the CPA, CIA and CRM
- paid time off for medical appointments, paid family leave, and paid personal leave (in addition to paid sick leave and paid vacation leave)
- a one-time one (1) week vacation leave upon your second anniversary of service within the federal public service
- paid training to learn or improve a second official language (English or French).
- your peace of mind provided by our comprehensive benefits package, including
- public service pension, health, and dental plans
- disability benefits
- life insurance
- a confidential employee assistance program.
About the Financial Audit Professional Development program (APS)
Are you just starting or are in the processing of completing your CPA studies or the practical experience requirements for obtaining your CPA designation? If so, no matter what phase of the CPA path you are in, look no further than our renowned 3-year APS program that could offer you:
- paid tuition fees (eligible fees), paid Common Final Examination (CFE) fees and study leave
- paid overtime
- a “hire from within” culture with a defined career progression pathway which could allow financial auditors to be promoted into our audit professional positions
As a Financial Auditor, you will report to a director and receive continued mentoring by an in-house coach and auditor. As a developing talent within our financial audit teams, you will gain practical CPA experience hours by participating in the planning, examination, and reporting phases of audits of Canada’s Crown corporations, federal and territorial governments, or other federal organizations.
Upon successful completion of our APS, Financial Auditors could be promoted to the Audit Professional level, where they begin to perform independent audits and are given additional responsibilities. After a couple years’ experience, Audit Professionals could then be promoted to Senior Audit Professionals. From there, Senior Audit Professionals can apply to become Audit Project Leaders and manage a team of auditors.
January, May, or September 2024
Number of vacancies
Who can apply?
Persons residing in Canada who are legally entitled to work and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
How to apply
Candidates must submit:
- a 2-page-maximum curriculum vitae
- a 2-page-maximum cover letter indicating how each education and experience requirement is met, including asset qualifications, and
- a copy of your most recent academic transcript (official or unofficial).
Your application must be submitted online using our applicant tracking system.
Screening of candidate applications and interviews will begin in September 2023
1 October 2023 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time (ET).
Candidates must meet the following criteria prior to the employment start date:
- Graduation with a bachelor’s degree in accounting (or the equivalent*) from a recognized university
- Completion of all pre-requisites recognized by CPA provincial bodies for admission into the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP) or the pre-requisites for admission into CPA-accredited programs
Candidates who have successfully completed the CPA Canada Common Final Examination (CFE) in an assurance role are eligible to apply.
*The equivalent is defined as a bachelor’s degree in commerce, business administration, management, or economics.
- Cumulative academic average of B+ or higher
- Previous financial audit experience
- Candidate is pursuing a CPA designation with a public accounting licence
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Bilingual in both official languages BBB/BBB
- English essential
- French essential
Proficiency levels: A (beginner), B (intermediate), C (advanced)
Conditions of employment
- Intention of pursuing a Canadian Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.
- Security Clearance: Secret
Click here for more details related to employee security screening when applying for a job within the federal public service.
Join our career fair for future CPAs!
On 19 September 2023, we are hosting a virtual Career Fair for Future CPAs you don’t want to miss!
It’s a once in a year opportunity for you to discover what’s different about a career at the OAG as well as attend breakout rooms to network with Financial Auditors, Professional Auditors, Senior Professional Auditors, Project Leaders and Directors of the financial audit practice.
Did we mention that hiring managers will be attending?
Now, it's your turn to set yourself up for CPA success. Reserve your spot now!
If you have any questions regarding the application process or need accommodation during the process, please contact the Staffing team at firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date and time of the selection process.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.