Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis
Toronto, Ontario (hybrid)
The Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis reports to the Director, Asset Performance.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
Potentia Renewables is a fast-growing independent power producer with over 600 MW of renewable generating capacity under management across Canada and the United States, and >1 GW of additional projects in the development pipeline.
As Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis, you will be building important accounting and asset management capabilities to enable continued profitable growth at the company. You serve as the interface between the Finance team and the remaining business functions, and as result you have a deep understanding of systems and information flows across the company. The new reporting tools which you develop will highlight how each part of the company is performing and dictate executive priorities. This is fast paced, constantly evolving role where you will work alongside exceptional colleagues and see many opportunities for future career advancement.
Potentia is looking for an individual with a strong passion for excellence, who brings a comprehensive analytical skillset and is willing to learn about renewable energy. You will be based out of our Toronto office with a mix of in-office and remote work.
Your Main Responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring accurate and timely financial reporting; consolidating financial results into monthly and quarterly management reports for the executive and board.
- Reviewing, pressure-testing, and validating financial information in consolidated reports; configuring new reports in Potentia’s cloud-based Vena planning software as required to explain variances.
- Overseeing internal procedures to capture revenue and cost accruals as required for financial reporting.
- Leading the annual budgeting exercise and working with each functional leader to set budgets and performance targets for each individual department.
- Coordinating financial and operational reporting to lenders across all subsidiaries.
- Maintaining and improving the self-serve financial reports available to business users.
- Coaching junior members of the Finance team to improve understanding of the business, accounting best practices and the software tools at their disposal.
- Advising the executive on investments in system improvements and changes to financial controls.
- Assisting the Director and Potentia’s leadership with ad hoc priorities as required.
You have the following Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to translate data into meaningful results, to summarize findings and to recommend solutions.
- Knowledge of and experience running a month-end close from start to finish including preparing financial statements and reporting packages.
- Experience configuring custom reports in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software or equivalent.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proven ability to meet or exceed performance objectives.
- Comfortable working within a team environment that is undergoing constant change.
- Knowledge of, or experience working in the renewable energy industry is an asset.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Hold a CPA, CA or comparable accounting designation, AND
- Have 2+ years of experience working as a qualified accountant in a corporate or firm setting.