Volunteer Board Director and Treasurer
Are you a finance professional with a passion for everyday cycling? You may be the person we are looking for to help advance our mission for a bicycle-friendly Canada.
Vélo Canada Bikes (https://velocanadabikes.org/) is Canada’s national cycling advocacy organization. We are seeking to appoint a finance professional to the Board of Directors as Treasurer as soon as available.
About Vélo Canada Bikes
Vélo Canada Bikes, founded in 2012, is a national non-profit organization that is working to build a bicycle friendly Canada. We are the national voice and organizing body for promoting cycling as a means of everyday transportation and recreation. We work at the federal level and collaborate with all levels of government, industry, academia, and social sector organizations to:
- Improve access to safe cycling for all people in Canada
- Promote the bicycle as a transportation mode of choice for moving people and goods
- Gather and disseminate the latest knowledge and trends related to cycling
- Influence policy and funding for cycling in Canada
- Educate Canadians regarding the benefits of access to safe cycling, and how this can transform our society into a healthier, greener, more equitable and prosperous place
- Support and amplify cycling advocacy efforts across the country
About the Board
Vélo Canada Bikes (VCB) has a Board of Directors from across Canada. Currently there are nine members, and the Board is seeking to add at least one additional Director at the AGM
The organization is supported by a part-time Executive Director, and specialized consultants as needed. Vélo Canada Bikes is a working Board and Directors are expected to contribute their time and expertise to the organization. Including attending meetings, Board Directors should be willing to contribute 8-10 hours per month to VCB. The Board all serve as volunteers.
The Board meets monthly, for two hours, on the third Thursday of each month via videoconference. Board committees meet as needed, usually quarterly or monthly. VCB is a bilingual organization but Board meetings take place in English.
About the position of Treasurer
VCB is seeking a finance professional to join the Board of Directors at our next AGM in September 2023 and to become Treasurer. VCB’s finances are handled by the Executive Director, with support from contracted finance professionals. The Treasurer’s role will be to assist the Executive Director in developing an annual budget, represent the Board as necessary in the annual audit process, and ensure that VCB’s financial systems meet appropriate standards. Responsibilities include:
- Attending monthly Board Meetings.
- Chairing quarterly meetings of the Audit and Finance Committee.
- Developing an intimate understanding of VCB’s budget, reporting, and financial processes and working with the Executive Director to ensure they are at an appropriate standard for a small not-for-profit organization.
- Representing the Board on financial issues as necessary (e.g., responding to audit questions on behalf of the Board, speaking with the bank if necessary).
- Participating in other non-finance Board activities as desired.
Preferred qualifications (please consider applying even if you don’t have all the qualifications)
- Professional finance or accounting accreditation (e.g., CA, CPA) OR significant experience in financial management.
- Willingness to commit 8-10 hours per month to VCB activities.
- Passionate about improving conditions for cycling in Canada.
Please send a CV or LinkedIn profile, along with a brief expression of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Vélo Canada Bikes.