Director, Research Finance
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 30
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Financial Services provides financial leadership, services, information and stewardship in support of the academic, research and service activities of Western’s community. Research Finance provides exemplary financial management to our research community.
The Director, Research Finance is responsible for leading the post-award administration and financial management of the research funds awarded to the University and its researchers. The Director provides strategic leadership and advances operational practices through development and oversight of business processes, financial controls, and stewardship/risk management functions. The role is responsible for ensuring the financial reporting and audit obligations related to research funds are achieved. The Director promotes adherence to institutional policies and practices as well as to the guidelines and regulations of the many government sponsors, not-for-profit organizations and private sector businesses who support the research activities at Western.
Reporting to the AVP, Financial Services, the Director is a key member of the senior leadership team of Financial Services. The role supports Western’s strategic plan and research mission by providing financial guidance, advice and expertise to many stakeholders at the University including Associate Vice-Presidents, Directors, Finance Managers, Financial Officers, Administrative staff and researchers.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Management/Administration, Finance or related field
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- 10 years’ experience leading and managing professional staff
- 10 years’ experience with government reporting and regulations
- Experience establishing procedures and workflow processes
- Experience managing a financial control and reporting environment
- Experience in strategic planning, project management and implementation, operationalization
- Experience in the preparation and understanding of financial reports, contract management and audit requirements
- Experience in a public sector or educational institution is preferred
- Experience with complicated multi-application systems and software packages would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of financial budgeting and principles to develop financial models, forecasts and analysis, as well as strategic planning processes.
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles and fund accounting
- Openness to recognize when change is necessary, and to develop, implement and lead effective change management strategies
- Ability to collaborate and negotiate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work that intersects with other functional units
- Communication skills with the ability to converse with, write reports for, and deliver presentations to all levels of the organization
- Ability to deal confidentially with information that has financial, political, regulatory and reputational implications, and apply discretion and diplomacy as necessary
- Ability to draw on diversity of skills, backgrounds and knowledge of people to achieve more effective results
- Ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy and to organize and prioritize a high volume of work to meet deadlines
- Ability to quickly re-allocate resources and adjust priorities in response to unexpected events or changing circumstances
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Leadership skills with the ability to inspire employees and develop a shared vision to lead a team to excellence
- Knowledge of enterprise-wide risk management and the ability to identify exposures and recommend controls to manage operational and legal risks
- Project management skills to align projects with strategic goals and operational objectives
- Ability to develop strategies that are in line with the University's mission and which balance competing priorities
- Demonstrated high integrity when faced with competing priorities of stakeholders.
- Ability to promote and enforce compliance with government regulations and institutional policies in light of competing community interests
- Ability to create a productive, safe and respectful work environment
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures
- Commitment to a client-focused approach to meet the unique needs of Western’s research community
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online referencing job #33711 by midnight on February 15th 2024.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.