Director, Finance & Operations
Hamilton Community Foundation is a trailblazing and stable, organization in the social finance sector. We are looking for an experienced CPA with a track record in managing multiple portfolios including finance, accounting, IT, HR and operations.
Reporting to/and working with the VP, Finance & Operations, you will supervise the Finance & Operations team, oversee all financial reporting, as well as lead and support the annual organizational budget process. The role also includes assisting with the oversight of an investment portfolio of approximately $250 million and working with various finance committees on developing and executing responsible investing (RI) and impacting investing (II) strategies. HCF is recognized as an RI and II leader in Canada so this role provides the opportunity to use your finance skills to mobilize capital, align all of our assets with our mission, and be part of a trailblazing organization in the social finance sector.
In this role you will contribute to the department’s strategic and annual operating plans and assist in strategy development. You will take responsibility for the maintenance and effectiveness of current information technology platforms, including working with users to determine the mid- to long-term IT strategy for the foundation. You will also lead key HR functions, including preparing job offers and employment contracts, and overseeing the effectiveness of day-to-day office operations.
In addition to your passion for contributing to the well-being of our community, you are enthusiastic about extending the impact of a community-focused, not-for-profit organization through effectiveness in delivering mission within budget constraints. You are also a strong leader and committed to supporting, developing, and providing learning and growth opportunities to your team.
To be successful in this role, you will establish and maintain critical relationships and networks with internal and external partners including service providers, board and committee members, Community Foundation networks, and local and government agencies. You will also have an understanding and commitment to providing exemplary financial and technical service to both our internal and external stakeholders and will achieve this through outstanding skills and a commitment to HCF’s values of equity, reconciliation, courage, relevance, accountability and collaboration.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
At this point in your career, you have at least 10 years of finance experience and the following must-have qualifications:
- CPA professional accounting designation.
- Strong IT skills including project management skills, preferably with a large integrated software system.
- Experience developing staff and working with performance management processes and systems.
- Experience leading annual departmental and/or organizational budget planning processes.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills across functional areas of an organization.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Initiative and the ability to work with minimal supervision as well as collaboratively as a team member.
- A commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, and a sensitivity to the barriers and challenges faced by equity-deserving communities.
The following are bonus qualifications:
- Experience with developing and executing responsible investing and impacting investing strategies.
- Experience developing and administering HR policies, as well as a working knowledge of current ESA and HR best practices.
- Experience in managing system implementation and training.
- Not-for-profit experience and/or an understanding of laws and regulations relating to reporting and tax receipting.
- Board and/or committee experience or exposure.
ABOUT HAMILTON COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
Hamilton Community Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. We encourage applications from diverse populations and equity-seeking groups, including applicants who require accessibility accommodations. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
For additional information about working at Hamilton Community Foundation, please visit: https://www.hamiltoncommunityfoundation.ca/about/careers/.
Hamilton Community Foundation (HCF)’s vision is a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive Hamilton and our mission is to drive positive change by connecting people, ideas, and resources. We do this by helping people give in a way that has meaning to them and impact in the community, providing grants and financing to charitable organizations and initiatives and bringing people together to address priority issues that affect Hamiltonians. Last year HCF gave 942 grants to 378 charities, totalling $12.7 million and provided loans of $18.3 million to charities and non-profits across Hamilton since inception.
HCF is part of a network of over 200 Canadian community foundations that contribute time, leadership and financial support to initiatives that benefit their community.
1. All applicants are asked to submit an up-to-date resume with cover letter answering the following questions:
- Why would you like to work for Hamilton Community Foundation?
- What work accomplishment relating to a system change or implementation are you most proud of to date?
2. We appreciate your interest but only applications who include a resume and cover letter will be considered and only applicants being invited for an interview will be contacted.
3. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to: email@example.com.
Salary Range: $90,000 to $110,000, commensurate with experience, plus benefits. Throughout the process, we’ll learn more about your skills and experience, and you’ll learn more about us and the different ways of being deeply rewarded for the work we do, that go beyond salary.
Job type: This is a permanent, full-time, position in a hybrid work environment. Applicants must be willing to work in the Hamilton Community Foundation offices a few days a week.
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm; some after-hours committee and board work may be required.
Condition of employment: As a condition of employment, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of valid exemption satisfactory to HCF prior to your start date. You must acknowledge and agree to comply with any future COVID-19 vaccine policy requirements as a condition for ongoing employment.