Senior Advisor, Client Services (Finance)
JOB TITLE: Senior Advisor, Client Services (Finance)
DEPARTMENT: Corporate Support Services
POSTING NUMBER: 105751
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
JOB STATUS & DURATION: Full Time Permanent
HOURS OF WORK: 35 workweek
LOCATION: Hybrid Model*– when working onsite, you will report to the location of City Hall
SALARY GRADE: 7
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $109,299.00 - $122,962.00 per annum
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $136,624.00 per annum
JOB TYPE: Management and Administration
POSTING DATE: December 7, 2023
CLOSING DATE: January 6, 2024
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting directly to the Manager, Client Services (Finance), this position is responsible for providing strategic direction and leadership in providing financial related client services for a portfolio of departments. This position is responsible for building strong relationships with senior leaders across the City and to be a trusted advisor regarding their business requirements. This position will be responsible for building their team into a strategic operation that provides outcome-based, effective and efficient services to their department portfolio. This position will provide decision-making that impacts significant programs, processes, policies and practices to meet the Strategic Plan goals and objectives. This role will participate in strategic planning at both the sectional level as well as the provision of expertise to the broader City-wide strategy. Promote an environment of trust, respect, diversity and inclusiveness throughout the organization.
- Oversee operational excellence and integrity by establishing goals and objectives to promote optimum effectiveness and ensure implementation of appropriate policies and practices that meet the Service Plan goals and objectives. Build strong relationships with senior leaders across the City and to be a trusted advisor regarding their business requirements. Build their team into a strategic operation that provides outcome-based, effective and efficient services to their department portfolio. Identify and manage interdependencies among a number of highly complex, concurrent innovative or specialized projects and work collaboratively across the organization and Finance division to leverage opportunities. Provide the Manager, Client Services (Finance) with recommendations on managing critical issues and risks. Participate in strategic planning at both the sectional level as well as the provision of expertise to the broader City-wide strategy. Ensure a high standard of financial planning, budget, management reporting, and analytical support is delivered consistently to their department portfolio. Identify performance, efficiency and innovation improvements on behalf of client departments and prepare financial impact analysis and assist with implementation and provide training.
- Lead and be accountable for their team in its day-to-day activities. Lead, motivate and retain a team of high performing employees that is capable of delivering results. Coach, mentor and initiate training of staff to guide their professional development and succession planning. Lead the implementation of opportunities to increase the productivity of their team, reduce risk to the City and increase quality of service to client departments. Lead strategic change to meet organizational goals, particularly in aspects related to decision making and generating consensus.
- Provide qualified strategic and tactical financial advice to staff, departmental clients and other stakeholders. Liaise and interact with government agencies, public and private sector organizations, departments and Council to exchange information and acquire knowledge. Partner with other leaders within the division to ensure alignment and coordination of broader Finance services for the organization.
- Build effective working relationships at all levels, particularly with senior leaders in client departments across the City, ensuring the highest possible level of client satisfaction and being established as a trusted advisor. Build and foster strong working relationships and collaborative arrangements with internal and external customers, stakeholders, business and community leaders, sponsors, public and the media.
- Ability to interact with internal and external key stakeholders, community groups, government agencies, public and private sector organizations. Attend Council, Committee and Corporate Leadership Team meetings to represent their department portfolio(s), provide expert advice and recommendations to influence decision-making that have positive outcomes. Present findings and recommendations in a compelling way at the senior level. Review and approve business proposals, reports prepared by staff for presentations to senior management, Council, stakeholders and recommend changes as required to influence effective decision-making. Provide professional consultation, including reports to Council and Committees.
- Identify opportunities and challenges and recommend best practice solutions. Act as final review for deliverables developed prior to sending to the Manager, Client Services (Finance) for approval. Maintain knowledge of all laws, regulatory, judicial mandates, ordinances, legislative various acts, codes and by-laws set out by Federal, Provincial or Municipal levels of government.
- Ensure that all financial and procedural requirements are carried out in accordance with corporate financial policies. Use of effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Ability to foster engagement, debate and discuss building of consensus to achieve Strategic Plan goals and objectives. Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment to achieve Strategic Plan goals and objectives while respecting diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives. Demonstrate success developing and implementing multi-faceted Strategic Plans for diverse stakeholders with wide-ranging impacts. Promote teamwork and integration across the organization. Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
- Post-secondary degree in Business Administration or other relevant discipline. CPA designation (CA, CMA, CGA) or CFA or MBA is required. Certificate in Lean Six Sigma/Kaizen is considered an asset.
- 5-7 years progressive financial/accounting experience preferably in both a public and unionized environment is an asset 2-3 years supervisory leadership experience; Ability to lead, influence, direct and motivate staff
OTHER SKILLS AND ASSETS:
- Experience leading strategic change to meet organizational goals Strong diplomatic, facilitation, influencing, collaborative and consensus-building skills Expert knowledge of Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal Governments, applicable Legislations and awareness of current social, economic and political priorities Ability to interact with internal and external key stakeholders, community groups, government agencies, public and private sector organizations Experience developing policies and procedures and ensuring compliance Ability to prioritize highly complex tasks with critical deadlines Highly-developed analytical skills for complex problem solving Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office/Sharepoint Experience working with a large corporate Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
Interview: Our recruitment process may be completed with video conference technology.
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available. *Our Hybrid Model is subject to change.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference # 105751 by January 6, 2024 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
As part of the application process, applicants will be invited to complete a self-identification survey. The survey is voluntary. Participation in the survey will have no impact on hiring decisions. Should you wish to opt out of completing the survey, please select “prefer not to answer” as a response to each question. All information collected is confidential and will not be shared with the hiring manager. The surveys will be anonymized and will be kept separate from applicant or employee files, such that the individuals who completed the surveys will not be identifiable. The results of the survey will assist in the analysis of disaggregated metrics for organizational planning purposes and our commitment to advance and foster diversity, equity, and inclusion. The City may use anonymized data to produce aggregate reports for internal or external use.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact TalentAcquisition@brampton.ca or 905.874.2150 with your accommodation needs, quoting the job opening ID#, job title. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.