Senior Tax Officer
We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions, so you are empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and are truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What You’ll Be Doing
Reporting to the Director, Tax Services, the Senior Tax Officer will be responsible for the effective and timely completion and filing of all requisite tax returns for complex Estate and Trust accounts. The Senior Tax Officer fulfills a variety of income tax compliance, planning and administrative functions.
At CIBC we enable the work environment most optimal for you to thrive in your role. Details on your work arrangement (proportion of on-site and remote work) will be discussed at the time of your interview.
How You’ll Succeed
- Client engagement - Obtain information (from clients, internal and external sources) required to prepare and file income tax returns. Performs calculations, completes required schedules and organizes the information for complex returns.
- Relationship building- Liaise with CIBC Trust staff, outside tax professionals, and clients to ensure that: income tax filing requirements for more complex returns are met on a timely basis; taxation issues are explained and resolved; and, tax strategies are implemented effectively.
- Subject Matter Expertise- Accurately prepares, personal, Estate and trust income tax returns and schedules. Identify post-mortem and other tax planning opportunities. Act as a technical tax resource to the Executive Trust Associate Team. Review assessment notices and prepares adjustment requests, objection notices and Clearance Certificate requests for filing. Corresponds with the CRA to ensure any requests for information are provided. Review complex tax returns such as GRE’s and terminal T1 returns, rights or things
- Leadership capabilities- Participate in Special Projects as assigned. Ability to manage and train junior staff. Ability to take ownership of assigned projects with limited supervision
Who You Are
- You put our clients first. You engage with purpose to find the right solutions. You go the extra mile, because it's the right thing to do. Well-developed communication skills sufficient to interact effectively with clients, professionals and small groups. Ability to co-ordinate multiple activities simultaneously with time management components and influence the delivery of responses from various parties.
- You’re goal oriented. You’re motivated by accomplishing your goals and delivering your best to make a difference. You have the ability to co-ordinate multiple activities simultaneously with time management components and influence the delivery of responses from various parties
- You give meaning to data. You enjoy investigating complex problems and making sense of information. You communicate detailed information in a meaningful way.
- You can demonstrate experience in preparation of T1, T1 terminal (final), T3 trusts and estate returns. Assistance with outsourcing tax returns/ identify tax planning opportunities. Familiarity with graduated rate estates and exceptional writing skills sufficient to prepare various communications containing detailed descriptions, explanations and specialized Estates & Trusts terminology. It’s an asset if you have strong tax research and computer skills and ability to work paperless and Tax prep software.
- You’re a certified professional. You have current accreditation and good standing in STEP, CSI or Taxation Courses. It’s an asset if you have your CPA or working towards.
- You have a degree/diploma in Accounting.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values - trust, teamwork, and accountability.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, your goals are a priority. We start with your strengths and ambitions as an employee and strive to create opportunities to tap into your potential. We aspire to give you a career, rather than just a paycheck.
- We work to recognize you in meaningful, personalized ways including a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, a benefits program*, defined benefit pension plan*, an employee share purchase plan, a vacation offering, wellbeing support, and MomentMakers, our social, points-based recognition program.
- Our spaces and technological toolkit will make it simple to bring together great minds to create innovative solutions that make a difference for our clients.
- We cultivate a culture where you can express your ambition through initiatives like Purpose Day; a paid day off dedicated for you to use to invest in your growth and development.
*Subject to plan and program terms and conditions.
What you need to know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation, please contact Mailbox.email@example.com
- You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit.