Team Lead, Controllership Policy Development Unit
Are you a collaborative leader with strong attention to detail, an accountable mindset, and excellent networking skills? Have you fostered belonging, inclusion, and community within your teams? Are you ready for your next leadership opportunity? The Controllership Policy and Accounting Consultation Branch within the Treasury Board Secretariat (TBS) is seeking a strategic leader to join their team as Team Lead, Controllership Policy Development.
The Controllership Policy and Accounting Consultation Branch @ TBS
Controllership Policy Accounting Consultation (CPAC) leads the development and implementation of Controllership Policies, provides expert accounting and financial management advice to decision-makers on government programs and initiatives, and promotes the Province's interests in the Public Sector Accounting Board Standards setting process and the implementation of the changes to the standards.
Please note: attendance at the Toronto office (7 Queen's Park) will be required in alignment with the Ontario Public Service's current hybrid work model.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
The OPS is an innovative, responsive, and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable. Diversifying leadership is a top priority for the OPS. Our goal is to achieve parity with the Ontario labour force by 2025 for the most under-represented groups (Indigenous, racialized and persons with disabilities) on our leadership teams.
The OPS invites all interested individuals to apply. As an organization that promotes equity and diversity, the OPS encourages applications from Indigenous, Black, racialized individuals, and persons with disabilities.
The OPS is an accessible employer and we offer accommodation in all aspects of employment, including the recruitment process.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy, the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint, and the Multi-Year Accessibility Plan to learn more about the OPS commitment to advancing racial equity, accessibility, diversity and inclusion in the public service.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Create the Work Environment
In the Ontario Public Service, we hold our leaders to the highest standards, expecting them to embody authenticity, accountability, and courage in every action and decision. It will be your responsibility to create a work environment and team culture that ignites innovation, nurtures collaboration and champions inclusivity by creating a diverse, anti-racist and accessible workplace that is free from discrimination and harassment. By aligning your choices with these values, you will create a vibrant work environment where every individual can thrive.
Deliver on Business Goals and Priorities
Your leadership will be crucial in guiding the team towards the achievement of its business goals. It will be your responsibility to inspire and motivate your team to deliver their best performance and align the team's daily actions with the strategic vision of the ministry.
As the Team Lead, you will:
• Provide leadership, coaching and guidance to a team of professional staff and support the establishment of a diverse, inclusive, accessible, and anti-racism work environment.
• Lead the implementation of new accounting standards and changes to current controllership policies.
• Manage projects, including development of work plans/timelines, assigning work, and ensuring that deadlines and objectives are met.
• Prepare complex briefing materials, reports, correspondence, communications, and other specialized documents for senior management.
• Work closely with colleagues in other divisions and areas within government to support initiatives, as well as the planning and budget processes.
• Conduct accounting policy research and surveys of other jurisdictions and recommend / implement changes to the provincial accounting policy framework.
• Support issues identification, tracking and management across all aspects of OPS accounting and financial management.
• Demonstrate the leadership behaviours, attributes and mindset for leaders, across the organization, to lead the OPS into the future and deliver our vision.
How do I qualify?
• Professional Accounting Designation (CPA - Chartered Professional Accountant).
Strategic Leadership Skills
• You have leadership skills and the ability to inspire, engage, motivate, develop and mentor staff to deliver on results in a rapidly changing environment.
• You model the principles of inclusion and diversity across all elements of your management style.
• You can develop realistic plans for the work unit and manage complex projects that can involve participation from across the organization.
• You have strategic foresight to anticipate and recognize issues and develop risk mitigation strategies.
Relationship Management and Communication Skills
• You have demonstrated skills in building and maintaining collaborative partnerships and mutually beneficial business relationships.
• You have superior oral/written communication and presentation skills to clearly articulate complex information, provide guidance and consultation and lead the preparation of briefing/issues notes.
• You can provide strategic advice to Treasury Board, ministry senior management and executives on government financial management framework and controllership policy requirements to support the reporting and audit of financial information.
Technical Expertise and Specialized Knowledge
• You have a strong financial background with proficient knowledge of public sector accounting standards normally acquired through a Chartered Professional Accountant designation.
• You possess solid business acumen as well as a proven ability to implement change initiatives.
• You have experience developing and/or implementing accounting policies and providing accounting policy advice.
• You have an understanding of, or the ability to develop an understanding of government policies, programs, procedures and Cabinet/Treasury Board/Management Board of Cabinet submissions.
Tools and Resources for Crafting Your Application
• The Ontario Public Service Leadership Model defines the expected leadership behaviours, attributes and mindset for leaders. Be sure to demonstrate these leadership behaviours in your application.
• Explore our Application Preparation Guide for valuable tips on crafting an impactful application.
- 1 English Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 7 Queens Park Cr, Toronto, Toronto Region
Management Compensation Plan
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Finance and Economics
Monday, November 20, 2023
How to apply:
- You must apply online. Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us. Read the job description to make sure you understand this job. OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying. If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment services team will contact you within 48 hours.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Tuesday, December 5, 2023 11:59 pm EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario's Human Rights Code .