Financial Analyst - Ancillary
Department: Student and Ancillary Services
Job Type: Continuing
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time (>=1249 hrs/year)
Reports to: Manager, Ancillary Finance
Employee Group: WLUSA
Application Deadline: November 28th, 2023
Requisition ID: 6419
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus university that excels at educating with purpose. Through its exceptional employees, students, researchers, leaders, and educators, Laurier has built a reputation as a world-class institution known for its rich student experience, academic excellence, and global impact. With a commitment to Indigenization and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, Laurier’s thriving community has a place for everyone.
Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well locations in Kitchener and Milton. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace, a flexible work policy and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
This position’s primary responsibility is to be a financial resource for the Ancillary Services portfolio. The Ancillary Services client groups includes Residence Operations (including Ezra Apartments), Food Services, OneCard, Conference Services, Bookstore Operations, Printing Services, Parking Resources, Distribution Services and Special Constable Services. The incumbent will provide effective financial and analytical support and will include monthly monitoring, timely reporting and analysis of the financial operations and budgets. The Financial Analyst supports recommendations on budget planning, financial strategies, and deals with confidential financial information. The position reports directly to the Manager, Ancillary Finance.
The incumbent acts as the key liaison between the client groups they support and Financial Resources. The Financial Analyst will ensure compliance with financial management policies and procedures as well as reviewing and monitoring business processes to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of operations. The incumbent will work closely with the Ancillary Finance Team to ensure consistency of service between the units and ensure use and development of financial management best practices. The Financial Analyst is the subject matter expert for the clients they support and may also provide financial support on university or departmental wide special projects or initiatives.
This position has a university-wide mandate and is based at the Waterloo Campus. The incumbent provides subject matter expertise to all campuses, requiring regular interpersonal interactions and collaboration with departments at the Waterloo and Brantford Campuses and external partners. Special attention is given to ensure equitable service delivery across all locations.
Budgeting & Planning
- Oversees and maintains a financial model that is used for strategic planning purposes
- Coordinates and sets up fiscal year budgets and distributes details of the approved ancillary budgets to the client group
- Coordinates and prepares multi-year project budgets and forecasts
- Advised on all budget and financial planning matters, policies/procedures, and accounting practices
- Serves as the point of contact with client groups
- Supports month-end/year-end completion as coordinated by Financial Services
- Advises client groups on financial matters, policies/procedures, financial terminology, and standard accounting practice
- Advises on budget methodologies and budget terminology
- Advises client group management on all important budget and financial planning matters in a timely manner
- Provides ad hoc training on an individual basis as requested
- Provides training to client groups supported on the review of financial reports, accounting principles and university financial policies
Reporting & Analysis
- Develops and maintains a variety of internal reports on an on-going basis; creates reports and works with management to develop financial forecasts to meet operational and strategic planning requirements (short and long term) for the department. The regularity of these reports may vary from monthly, quarterly to annually. Reports include but are not limited to:
- Budget to Actual report and forecasts
- Custom financial reports based on client needs
- Prepares advanced qualitative and quantitative analysis of budgets, forecasts, and actual results to assist in management decision making
- Collaborates with various units and individuals across the university to support effective reporting and analysis for internal and external audience
- Prepares internal and external financial reports as required
- Assists client groups with understanding various financial reports and information
Operational Systems Management
- Leads and/or participates in financial working groups/committees/project analysis as required Collaborates within Financial Resources and Integrated Planning & Budgeting to ensure full utilization and consistency of financial systems, model, policies, and procedures
- Leads and/or participates in continuous improvement initiatives
- Ensures transactions are input into university finance systems to support timely financial internal and external reporting
- Processes budget transfers and journal entries as required
- A CPA designation is required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar role.
- Knowledge and experience in financial modelling and data analysis.
- Advanced spreadsheet skills (Excel), and knowledge of other MS office products (Word, Powerpoint, Access) and ERP systems.
- Knowledge of Millennium, Banner, Cognos is an asset.
- Self-motivated, goal-orientated individual who is capable of working in a dynamic and challenging work environment
- Excellent communication, problem solving, time management, and interpersonal skills with a focus on providing exceptional customer service in a team environment.
This position has not been deemed eligible for educational equivalencies. Please refer to the attached link for details.
Position Grade: F
Rate of pay: $44.02 - $50.31
Hours of Work: This is a full time continuing position. The normal hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Flexibility in hours will be required, including evening and/or weekend work due to events. When possible, the manager will adjust the work schedule so that no more than 35 hours are worked in a week.
All Laurier employees and students are required to comply with the University's Covid-19 mandatory vaccination policy. Effective May 1st, Wilfrid Laurier University will pause its proof of vaccination requirements. Should these recommendations change, vaccination requirements can be reinstated on short notice. Community members should remain up-to-date with their COVID-19 vaccinations.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Equity, diversity and creating a culture of inclusion are part of Laurier’s core values and central to the Laurier Strategy. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any minority sexual and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives. Candidates from other equity deserving groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact Equity & Accessibility. We have strived to make our application process accessible, however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources. Contact information can be found at careers.wlu.ca/content/How-to-apply/
Should you be interested in learning more about this opportunity, please visit www.wlu.ca/careers for additional information and the online application system. All applications must be submitted online. Please note, a resume and cover letter will be required in electronic form.