Senior Director, Tax
Proactive member of the Corporate Tax team, leading all aspects of the global, public company corporate tax role, with broad knowledge of the tax rules and how they apply to the challenges of global growth and operations within the changing dynamics of our market segments.
This position provides analytical, planning, and financial reporting support directly to ATS executives.
- Team Leadership: Lead, mentor, and manage the tax department, ensuring efficient and effective operations. Provide guidance and support for team members.
- Collaboration: Work with cross-functional teams, including legal, finance, HR, and divisional operations to provide tax guidance for various business initiatives.
- Tax Regulatory Compliance: Monitor and ensure adherence to all federal, state, and local tax laws and regulations. Keep abreast of changes and make necessary adjustments.
- Tax Strategy Development: Develop and implement the company’s overall tax strategy, focusing on minimizing tax liability while maintaining compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Tax Planning: Identify tax-saving opportunities, credits, and deductions while maintaining a strong ethical and legal approach to tax planning.
- Canadian SR&ED, US R&D credit and other global R&D expense claim maximization.
- Tax attribute utilization planning.
- Nexus management.
- Financial Reporting: Lead global tax reporting, including local tax provision oversight, consolidation, disclosure, and controls.
- Stay current with financial reporting standards.
- Work cross-functionally and with financial statement auditors.
- Upgrade tax provision reporting cycle to include tax technology tools and redesign the tax control environment.
- Cascade tax SOX controls to divisional operating teams.
- Help convert reporting to US GAAP, if necessary.
- Tax Compliance: Ensure timely and accurate preparation and submission of all tax returns, including income tax, sales tax, and other regulatory filings.
- Stay updated on global tax laws and regulations to ensure complete and accurate compliance.
- Global tax compliance oversight.
- Global transfer pricing documentation compliance.
- Direct the Canadian and US tax return compliance.
- Financial Forecasting: Collaborate with the finance team to provide accurate tax rate forecasts and tax budgets to proactively support accurate financial planning.
- Tax Exams and Risk Management: Evaluate potential tax risks, manage tax risk within the corporate framework, oversee global tax exams.
- Advise senior management on potential exposures that arise and mitigation strategies.
- Work closely with the global finance teams and local counsel, when necessary, to respond to any inquiries or requests from tax authorities.
- M&A Support: Participate in M&A activities, including planning, due diligence, legal document review, integration planning and execution.
- Provide transaction support from a taxation perspective to the deal teams.
- Assess other global tax planning opportunities.
- Ensure that all functional activities are performed with the highest ethical standards and in compliance with the ATS Code of Business Conduct and professional standards.
- A post-secondary degree specializing in accounting, finance or equivalent.
- A professional accounting designation such as CA or CPA required.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 15 years tax experience in a complex multinational environment.
- Highly experienced CPA or equivalent with strong experience in advising or managing teams in a multinational company environment.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian, US and international tax regulations.
- Proven ability to align tax planning strategies with overall strategic business objectives.
- Deep experience in managing financial and tax reporting processes in an international context (ideally with US listed public company experience).
- Familiar with tax technology tools, and implementation experience is a plus.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and guidance in a team-oriented environment.
- Effectively communicate with people at all levels within and outside of the organization, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent leadership with a passion for developing high-performing teams, mentoring, training and developing people.
- Ability to set team expectations, meet deliverable deadlines, and hold people accountable, but be hands-on supportive when necessary.
- Proven project management skills
Cambridge or Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Hybrid arrangement available.
At ATS, it starts with our People!
We believe the foundation of a great company is having the best team and winning as a team.
Why Join ATS?
- Be a part of a thriving organization that is a global leader in advanced automation solutions
- Collaborate with other bright, talented professionals focused on innovation and continuous improvement
- Discover opportunities for growth within ATS as we strive to develop, engage, empower, and energize our people
- Make an impact and give back to our communities in a meaningful way
- Work in a safe, positive, and inclusive environment where everyone is respected and given the opportunity to do their best
- Enjoy an attractive compensation package including flexible work schedules (where applicable)
- And much more!
ATS is in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA), 2005 and will, upon request, assist those who may require specific accommodations due to a personal disability. We would ask that those who require assistance to notify our offices as soon as possible if accommodation is necessary.