Operations Controller, Finance
Full Time, Temporary (12-Month Contract)
eCampusOntario eCampusOntario is a provincially-funded non-profit organization that leads a consortium of the province’s 53 publicly-funded colleges, universities and indigenous institutes to develop and test online learning tools to advance the use of education technology and digital learning environments. Officially registered as the Ontario Online Learning Consortium (OOLC) and referred to as eCampusOntario we:
- Support the development and delivery of quality online learning experiences across all of Ontario.
- Lead in research, development and sharing of exemplary practices in online and other forms of technology-enabled learning.
- Support member institutions in fostering innovation, collaboration, and excellence on behalf of Ontario students, faculty and stakeholders.
- Contribute to the evolution of teaching and learning by responding to emerging technology and the development of state-of-the art online learning.
Operations Controller, Finance
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Finance (the “Senior Manager”), the Operations Controller, Finance (the “Operations Controller”) will assist in the creation of and responsibility of the on-going reporting of all eCampusOntario transfer payment agreements (TPAs) and provide financial and technical support to ensure timely and accurate monthly and quarterly reports, monitoring project expenses, and contributing to the organizational budgeting process.
Accountabilities, Duties and Responsibilities
Assist in development of business unit budgets to ensure that expenses are allocated appropriately in order to identify variances with root causes. Supported by the Senior Manager, explain financial impacts on business unit budgets to the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and business unit leaders, respectively.
Prepare and consolidate monthly financial reports and ensure accuracy and to provide regular feedback as well as for distribution to senior management. Prepare any monthly and quarterly revisions and projections and respond to any questions.
- Confirm availability of funds for all requests for payment or charges to TPA projects.
- Collaboratively own the preparation of quarterly reports, forecasts, and any other reports as requested.
- Assist in the preparation of the consolidated annual fiscal report, including periodic cashflow reports and associated key performance indicators (KPI) reports to senior management.
- Ensure adherence to all finance policy guidelines is maintained and practiced so that the accounting and reporting of operations is effective, and the integrity of the organization's reporting is maintained and where available improved.
Accounts Payable and Receivable
- Responsible for overseeing and supporting the day-to-day accounts payable process including coordinating with procurement and business units to ensure all payables are processed accurately on time as scheduled to meet month-end cycles.
- Lead the creation of the monthly accruals to support predictability of overall organizational expenses.
- Align expenses to assigned accounts and advise businesses units of appropriate accounting expense and signing authority policy restrictions.
- Collaborate with the Senior Manager in the upload and accuracy of the organizational semi-monthly payroll entry and collaborate with payroll vendor to as needed.
- Collaborate with People and Culture to ensure all new and existing employees are loaded accurately into the payroll system.
- Collaborate with the Senior Manager in the development of employee expense reports in a timely manner and in accordance with policies.
Education, Professional Designations and Development
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance.
- Accounting Designation required: Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA),Certified General Accountant (CGA); CPA,Certified Management Accountant (CMA); or CPA, Chartered Accountant (CA).
- Minimum 6 years' experience supporting full-cycle accounting operations.
- Not-for-profit (NFP) experience considered an asset.
- Knowledge of the post-secondary education sector in Ontario an asset.
- Superior attention to detail, excellent communication (written and verbal), insightful analytical perspective.
- Experience in the NFP sector is a strong asset to successfully grasp the intricacies of the role.
- Should have interpretive understanding of the application of the Ontario Broader Public Sector Accountability Act directive.
- Commitment to customer service essentials. High level initiative and problem-solving. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding equity, diversity, decolonization, and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse peoples.
Candidates are invited to email us at email@example.com (subject Operations Controller, Finance) with a Cover Letter and Resume attached as a single PDF file, titled “Last Name, First Name.pdf”.
The Resume must clearly highlight all relevant education, training and experiences that are applicable to the minimum qualifications for this position and should not be longer than two (2) pages. Please include your salary expectations in your cover letter.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Offers are conditional upon the successful review of three (3) professional references and a
satisfactory background check.
Posting will stay Open Until Filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates invited to interview will be contacted. Please continue to check our Jobs & Opportunities for more exciting positions.
Equity, Decolonization, Diversity and Inclusion Statement
The current social context informs our work. This includes the imperative to join the fight against anti-Black racism and anti-BIPOC racism, and to support Equity, Decolonization, Diversity and Inclusion in everything we do. We will seize this moment to rebuild and support an environment that prioritizes inclusion, representation and voice.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), eCampusOntario is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the talent acquisition process.
If you require any accommodations at any point during the talent acquisition process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Hybrid Work Model
This position is based out of the eCampusOntario office in downtown Toronto, where our hybrid work model includes both in-person and remote work opportunities.
For more information on eCampusOntario, please visit our website at https://www.ecampusontario.ca/