Senior Advisor – Regulatory Accountant
Recognized as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2023, we are Ontario’s independent regulator of the electricity and natural gas sectors. We are compelled by our desire to become a globally recognized top-tier regulatory agency. We are passionate about the environment and motivated by our want to enable innovation within the energy sector. We are committed to the economic and social development of Ontario and work every single day to deliver public value to Ontarians. We are a diverse, driven, transparent and thoughtful team, and are accountable to each other, the sector, and the customers we serve. We are the ONTARIO ENERGY BOARD (OEB)
We are currently seeking an energetic and collaborative individual to join our team as a Senior Advisor – Regulatory Accountant. In this role, you will be responsible for providing professional regulatory accounting, financial and technical expertise and advice to the Ontario Energy Board.
- Review and analyze all regulatory accounting, financial, and tax matters and provide expert advice as an individual or team member
- Act as a subject matter expert to provide analysis and reviews regarding regulatory accounting matters in rate applications, leaves to construct, Mergers, Acquisitions, Amalgamations and Divestitures (MAADs) and other applications filed by the regulated utilities in Ontario
- Lead, or participate in, the settlement conferences of issues with applicants and other stakeholders, develop interrogatories, participate in technical conference questioning, and prepare briefing notes, staff submissions and cross-examinations in preparation of public hearings for the proposals submitted by the regulated utilities in the filed applications
- Lead, or participate in, the OEB’s policy-related initiatives and studies regarding the complex regulatory accounting and taxes
- Maintain and develop the regulatory accounting/tax section of the rate application filing guidelines, and regulatory accounting policy documents
- Provide interpretation of OEB’s rules and procedures to others and work with other groups at the OEB to develop communication materials
- Lead and/or participate in educational webinars delivered to industry stakeholders
- Respond to the inquiries made by the regulated utilities
- Keep current with professional publications to maintain professional knowledge and relationships in the industry
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration
- A Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation is strongly preferred
- 5+ years’ experience as a professional accountant in (regulatory) accounting, financial reporting and/or audit
- 5+ years’ experience performing quantitative and qualitative analysis and providing recommendations
- Previous experience with accounting, taxation rules pertaining to (regulatory) accounting, IFRS, USGAAP and Canadian GAAP, and corporate taxation in Canada
- Experience working in a rate-regulated industry and familiarity with regulatory accounting standards are preferred
- Previous experience as a subject matter expert in mergers and acquisitions, interpreting external financial reporting standards, and regulatory accounting reporting standards, and corporate tax accounting is a definite asset
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Excel and MS Word
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong collaborative and excellent interpersonal skills
If you enjoy working with a group of staff dedicated to working cooperatively with stakeholders to help build and sustain public confidence in Ontario’s natural gas and electricity sectors, you’ll enjoy being a member of our team. We offer an environment that provides intellectually challenging work, inspires innovation and creativity, and rewards collaboration.
COME WORK WITH US
- Competitive salary and benefits Comprehensive Health and Dental Plans Income Protection Plan Progressive Leave Program Employee Assistance Program
If you would like to explore this opportunity, please apply online, by Tuesday, November 21, 2023, by visiting https://www.oeb.ca/about-oeb/careers.
As Ontario’s independent energy regulator, the OEB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require any assistance, please let us know.
We appreciate the interest of all candidates. We regret that only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.