PLASP Child Care Services is a charitable organization operating on a not-for-profit basis, providing high quality early learning and child care, for children up to 12 years of age. PLASP operates programs in more than 240 schools providing before and after school care. PLASP also operates over 32 full-day early learning and child care centres and six EarlyON locations for children from 0 – 6 years.
PLASP is committed to hiring, training, and fairly compensating staff. All Ontarians have the right to equal treatment with respect to employment without discrimination or harassment. We believe that everyone has worth and value, and that all staff are respected, supported, and treated fairly by their co-workers and supervisors.
The Accounting Supervisor reports directly to the Controller and assumes a crucial role in managing the Accounting, Payroll, and Accounts Payable teams. The Accounting Supervisor is responsible for planning and administering a variety of accounting functions, including responsibility of the general ledger and cash management
THE POSITION INVOLVES…
The successful candidate will provide a full range of duties, including:
- Supervision of Accountant, Payroll Administrative Specialist, Accounts Payable Administrative Specialist, Payroll Administrator. Overseeing full-cycle accounting, month-end close and payroll process and ensures all financial transactions are accurately recorded. Preparing and reviewing journal entries and balance sheet account reconciliations in a timely manner while ensuring accuracy. Preparing monthly account analysis, HST/GST filings and financial reports as requested by the Controller. Preparing the annual budget and forecast as required. Working with auditors as required and acts as key resource during annual audit. Be the accounting team’s subject matter expert on the accounting system and provide user support. Lead/participate in special projects that result in process improvements/efficiencies. Diligently oversees the bi-weekly payroll process, conducts a comprehensive analysis and resolution if any payroll issues are encountered. Additionally, communicates with staff regarding any pertinent information when required. Validating the Group Insurance membership against payroll records ensuring accuracy of staff contributions towards their benefits. Preparing monthly payment for Group Insurance. Supervising the Accounts Payable team, ensuring all payments are timely and accurate, and the processes follow PLASP financial policies and procedures. Resolving payment issues with vendors and reviews monthly accruals Collaborating with funding officials, providing necessary information while meticulously compiling supporting documentation for the preparation of grant and budget submissions and reconciliations. This encompasses interactions with Region of Peel, City of Toronto, and any other government organization, ensuring accuracy and compliance throughout the process.
- Performs additional duties and completes special projects as assigned by the Controller.
- Engaging in regular meetings with both their immediate supervisor and their teams’ direct reports Attending workshops, conferences and seminars which promote both professional and personal growth and completes the annual continuing professional development requirements of a CPA.
THE PREFERRED CANDIDATE WILL HAVE…
- Formal education in Accounting, a CPA designation is preferred
- Minimum 3 years of related experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of taxation for organizations operating in Ontario and experience with payroll and tax compliance
- Strong people supervisory skills and able to effectively lead a team remotely.
- Previous experience with Microsoft Dynamics NAV, CRM and Jet Reports are preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel and proficient in Microsoft Word.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- High competencies in analytical abilities, initiative, planning & organizational skills, strong attention to detail, problem solving abilities, and ability to work under pressure.
- Demonstrate commitment to customer service including adaptability, flexibility, teambuilding,
- Proven ability to work with staff members at all levels and act as a team member
- A positive and supportive working environment Growth and learning opportunities A competitive total compensation package including Health and Dental benefits A competitive vacation package An opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children Hybrid work model that embraces both on-site and remote work to support each team’s core priorities.
HOW TO APPLY…
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please visit our website. PLASP invites all applicants to submit their resume and cover letter for consideration no later than November 22, 2023.
PLASP Child Care Services is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Human Resources will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.