Program Manager, Policy Development and Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Reporting #D3741
WHO WE ARE
Recognized as a GTA Top Employer, one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People, one of Canada’s Greenest Employers, one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, as well as a Forbes Top Employer, The Regional Municipality of York is Canada’s fastest growing region, with a population that is expected to grow to over 2 million by 2041. York Region stretches north from Toronto to Lake Simcoe and includes many hectares of protected Greenbelt. York Region’s diversity is evident in its nine local cities and towns, geography, economic development, and population. York Region works to provide residents and businesses access to a broad selection of services and resources.
WHAT WE OFFER
- DEFINED BENEFIT PENSIONS PROGRAM - With the Ontario Municipality Employees Retirement System (OMERS) defined benefit pension plan, you can confidently retire knowing that you will have income for life. Eligibility from date of hire as a full-time employee and includes employer-matched contributions. DISCOUNTS AND INCENTIVES - Enjoy corporate discounts from a variety of local businesses, such as, gyms and fitness studios, Canada’s Wonderland, Telus or Rogers phone plans and the Personal or Cooperators insurance. Don’t forget to take advantage of our Apple Employee Purchasing program! EMPLOYER OF CHOICE - Recognized as the highest-ranking government employer in Canada and fourth overall among 300 organizations. BENEFITS AND WELLNESS - A comprehensive employer-paid benefits plan includes extended health, dental and life insurance. Access to 24/7 Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP). INCLUSIVE AND DIVERSE WORKPLACE - Creating an environment which recognizes and celebrates all dimensions of diversity and inclusion.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This position is responsible for leading and developing an Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) strategy and framework, and associated policies, guidelines and procedures that support the Region’s Strategic Plan. Leads strategy and policy development, implementation, monitoring and assessment of ESG performance, provides subject matter expertise, and promotes ESG awareness throughout the organization. Engages and partners with internal and external stakeholders to identify trends, opportunities, and issues, and obtains feedback to improve and incorporate into organizational strategy. This position will also lead the development and implementation of financial/accounting and business policy development and reporting, with a focus on internal controls, to support the delivery of internal services.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Leads the development and implementation of the Region’s Environmental, Social, and Governance strategy and framework, in consultation with internal and external stakeholders, senior management, and key support staff across the organization.
- Provides direction in the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of program plans, policies and procedures ensuring consistency and alignment of all plans with broader organizational plans, business goals, best practices and frameworks.
- Monitors, researches and analyzes the changing environmental, social and governance environments, current issues and trends, and presents recommendations to senior management to make informed program and policy decisions.
- Develops, monitors and evaluates ESG program delivery to meet goals and objectives of the Region.
- Supports the development of communication strategies, promoting awareness within the Region of ESG objectives.
- Provides subject matter expertise, acts as a primary contact for internal and external partners, and makes recommendations applying current knowledge of ESG best practices and applicable legislative and professional standards.
- Monitors and reviews corporate activities to ensure compliance with the ESG strategy.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO YORK REGION
- Successful completion of a University Degree in Business Administration, Public Policy, Accounting or related field or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Completion of a professional accounting designation and registration in good standing with the appropriate Ontario Professional Association.
- Minimum five (5) years experience in strategic planning, policy development, project management and/or financial management and accounting, and minimum one (1) year of direct supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Environmental, Social and Governance frameworks, industry standards and current practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) standards.
- Demonstrated ability in the Region's leadership and core competencies.