Position: Director, Finance
Location: 1 Jim Flaherty St., Whitby, ON
Assignment: Full-time Salaried
Pay Rate: $85,000 – $95,000 per annum, commensurate with experience and education. We also offer comprehensive, 100% employer paid benefits, flexible work environment, and access to our superb sport, fitness, and recreational facilities.
Start Date: November 2023
We exist to unlock potential through the innovation of accessibility and to create a better, barrier-free life for all Canadians by reimagining accessibility and redefining the way Canadians live, work and play. Our organization values being person-centred, genuine, flexible, innovative, and collaborative.
We firmly believe that a great team member is somebody that is incredibly passionate about the cause they are advocating for. As an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion, we welcome and encourage applications from all persons including, but not limited to, persons with disabilities, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation, and newcomers. We provide variations and accommodations at all stages of the process and are committed to improving our process to be more accessible and equitable.
We know no one will ever meet 100% of the qualifications or feel 100% confident in performing all the duties outlined below. Aside from the qualifications that say required (bolded for emphasis), please do not let any other qualification or duty discourage you from applying. If you have any issues with the online application or would like additional information about the opportunity before applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Finance department at Abilities Centre is looking for a Director, Finance. Reporting to the General Manager & Chief Operating Officer, the Director, Finance will oversee all accounting and financial systems, manage the annual budgeting and financial reporting processes, and provide leadership in the areas of financial risk management, cashflow management, and financial strategy development.
The Director, Finance will work with Abilities Centre’s Executive Leadership Team to assess new and innovative revenue sources. The Director, Finance will work closely with all department leads to ensure that financial processes are streamlined, comply with standards, and meet the needs of our participants and funders.
What You’ll Do:
- Strategy Development: You will work with the General Manager & COO to elevate the strategic value of the Finance department to the organization and will develop financial strategies that align with the organization’s strategic objectives, inclusive of opportunities to diversify revenue sources. You will identify financial risks and opportunities and present them to the General Manager & COO, inclusive of your recommended course of action.
- Department Management: You will inspire, coach and mentor the members of the Finance Department. You will actively participate in meetings of the Senior Management Team (SMT), and provide financial insights, support, and guidance to the budget managers in other departments.
- Financial Planning & Reporting: You will oversee the preparation of the annual budget and subsequent monthly reporting. You will monitor cashflow weekly and make recommendations to maximize cash position. You will ensure the integrity of financial controls, making recommendations to enhance the organization’s financial policies, and providing oversight of the annual audit.
- Accessibility & Inclusion: You will ensure all financial policies, processes, documents, templates, and means of communication to staff and stakeholders are accessible and inclusive. You will work with department leads to develop financial assistance programs and guidelines to ensure the ongoing financial accessibility of our programs and services.
What You’ll Bring:
- Education & Experience: You are required to have a recognized accounting designation (CPA, CA). You bring 5+ years’ progressively responsible experience in a financial leadership role overseeing accounting, audit procedures and financial operations. You have demonstrated impact in not-for-profit or business organization(s) in a senior leadership position, ensuring sound internal controls.
- Technical Skills & Knowledge: You think strategically to assess options and implications for long-term goals using a risk management framework. You have experience managing government funding, grants, fees, and fundraising revenue streams. You possess the ability to present complex financial information and requirements to various audiences and present convincing recommendations for effective and appropriate financial management.
- Leadership: You posses the ability to inspire and mentor staff and delegate appropriately, fostering staff accountability and responsibility.
- Administrative Requirements: You are required to have a current, clear criminal record check for the vulnerable sector obtained within the last 6 months. You may be required to work daytime, evenings, and weekends.