Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Reports to: Controller, Finance
Employment Status: Full time permanent
Bargaining Unit Status: Excluded
Language requirements: English is essential; French is considered an asset
Bona Fide Occupational
Requirement (BFOR: N/A
Schedule: 40 hrs/week Monday-Friday (on site)
Competition Number: 23-097
Closing Date: September 30, 2023
Founded in 1960, the Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa (YSB) is one of the largest and most comprehensive non-profit agencies in Ottawa and a registered charity. It provides mental health services, employment programs, emergency shelter, community, health and housing services, and justice programs to youth in the Ottawa area, serving between 2,500 and 3,000 at‑risk individuals aged 12+ and their families every month. YSB employs 350 caring professionals in a unionized environment in over 26 locations across Ottawa.
The Financial Analyst prepares and evaluates monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports ensuring that financial information is recorded accurately. The Financial Analyst provides monthly variance projections and develops integrated revenue and expenses reports and annual forecasts. The position provides accounting assistance in all areas of the financial statements, including account reconciliation, reporting on YSB’s financial status by preparing and analyzing budgets, forecasts, and reports including the preparation of a monthly financial review summary for management. The position develops automated processes, eliminates duplication and coordinates information requirements.
What you will do:
- Provide assistance to Controller in developing and analyzing operating budgets and forecasts, and the preparation of financial reports Complete monthly reports for specific programs, including reconciliation of payments to general ledger, and overall (Funding) contract Prepare reports for management by assembling and summarizing data; assisting in the preparation of reports and presentation of findings, analysis, and recommendations Work closely with Payroll Analyst and HR to ensure accurate allocation of payroll costs to programs Design, test and run financial reports using Sage 300 and ensure that they are timely and accurate; look for efficiencies by automating reporting processes wherever possible Create and design reports and spreadsheets Verify and reconcile source data to systems, program inputs and accounting records; identify variances; ensure corrections are made
- Assist with analysis and reporting for Pension Plan as required Assist in data verification for annual reporting Assist in the verification of Pension Adjustments for T4s (annually)
Payroll Year end:
- Verify information from payroll to general ledger Review payroll reconciliation for annual T4 reporting Review annual reconciliation for WSIB, EHT and any others
- Verify weekly payrolls for accuracy, completeness & post adjustments as required. Ensure that payroll changes are reflected in the variance calculations and projections
YSB Charitable Foundation:
- Assist in the balancing of YSB programs for year end Assist in preparation of audit working papers for external auditors Prepare and balance funder reconciliation reports Prepare various reconciliation reports as required Assist in the development of the audited statements in accordance with accounting standards for not-for-profit organizations
- Support management with delivery of timely, relevant and accurate financial information Assist with system improvements & implementation of approved changes Keep abreast of accounting and reporting standards, as well as industry and market intelligence; and Provide interpretations and guidance to staff and management on finance-related policies, processes, and procedures
This opportunity may be right for you if you have:
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration, or equivalent
- Recognized accounting designation (ACAF (Advanced Certificate in Accounting and Finance); CPA) or actively working towards one will be considered an asset
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience in mid-size organization, including budgeting, preparing month and year-end reports and analysis.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting transaction flows, including system interfaces, account reconciliations, and internal controls
- Excellent analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to plan, implement and administer financial information and control systems; knowledge of the principles, processes and standards for integrated financial analysis and reporting
- Candidate should be knowledgeable of and understand Canadian Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profit Organizations
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, flexible environment with minimal supervision in order to prioritize and meet project deadlines.
- Must possess a high degree of attention to detail and organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- MS Excel – Intermediate to Advanced
- MS Office (Word, Powerpoint, Outlook) – Intermediate
- Sage 300 – Intermediate to Advance
- ADP Workforce Now – Intermediate would be considered an asset
Physical / Mental Demands and Working Conditions
- Mental and Visual concertation
- Light to moderate demands
- Frequent interruptions which require constant evaluation or work priorities
- Continuous learning
- Constant pressure to meeting deadlines
- Provide assistance in preparation of financial statements
- Prepare monthly reports, year-end reports and audit working papers
- Audit/Year End
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to join a vibrant team and be part of truly meaningful and rewarding work;
- 15 days of annual vacation + 1 personal day;
- 100% YSB-paid group health benefits;
- CAAT Pension plan (defined benefit);
- An evolving environment where we tackle new challenges and continue learning every day.
If you think this vacancy is a good fit, we would love to hear from you. Please visit the career section of our website to submit your resume and one-page cover letter. Don’t just tell us what we want to hear, tell us your story and why you would make a great addition to our team.
We know applying to a job takes time and thank all candidates for their interest. While we are not able to get back to every candidate, we will ensure shortlisted applicants are aware of their status and will do our best to provide feedback if that can be helpful.
At YSB, we are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ community and/or people with intersectional identities. Reasonable accommodation will be made available for applicants who require the same, whether on the basis of disability, creed or otherwise, throughout the hiring process, kindly make your needs known in advance. Applicants should know that YSB is similarly committed to providing reasonable accommodation of such needs in the workplace, up to the point of undue hardship. The selected candidate will be required to follow all mandatory Covid 19 safety protocols.