Deputy City Treasurer
Job Title: Deputy City Treasurer
Competition Number: CORP-30-23
Department: Corporate Services
Posting Category: Open
Division: Office of the City Treasurer
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: CA-ON-Thunder Bay
Min: CAD $124,162.43/Yr.
Max: CAD $146,073.44/Yr.
Pay Band: 13 (To be rated)
Number of Positions: 1
Effective Date: July 4, 2023
Supersedes Date: NEW
Posted Date: September 15, 2023
Post End Date: October 6, 2023
The City of Thunder Bay provides exceptional quality of life to those who live, work, and play in Thunder Bay – a culturally vibrant, economically diverse community with a metro population of over 120,000. Located on the north shore of Lake Superior, under the protective watch of the Sleeping Giant, Thunder Bay is rich in people and resources, and connects Northwestern Ontario to the world. We value our high quality of life and promote a clean, green, beautiful, and healthy community that provides economic opportunity, respects diversity, and provides affordable and safe neighbourhoods that are accessible to all.
The City of Thunder Bay is a place where art, culture and nature come together!
The Corporation of the City of Thunder Bay
has a rewarding opportunity for a
Thunder Bay is the largest community on Lake Superior. With a census metropolitan area population of 123,258 (Census 2021), it is the most populous municipality in Northwestern Ontario. Deeply rooted with European and Indigenous cultures, Thunder Bay is the sixth most culturally diverse community of its size in North America. The Community values a high quality of life and promotes a clean, green, beautiful and healthy community that provides economic opportunity, respects diversity and provides affordable and safe neighborhoods that are accessible to all.
We are a vibrant community and the region's commercial, administrative and medical hub. From trees to transportation to the new frontier for research, health and life sciences, our community stands for hard work and innovation. Our City by the Bay is home to 38 elementary schools, three middle schools, eight secondary schools, two private schools, an adult education facility, a post-secondary college and a university institution that provides a medical school and a law school.
As a four-season outdoor paradise Thunder Bay is the sunniest city in eastern Canada with an average of 2121 hours of bright sunshine each year. It is also one of the most dynamic "Cultural Capitals of Canada". Residents and visitors of Thunder Bay enjoy the harmony of a city rich in wide-open green spaces, parks and wilderness - and a major centre for visual and performing arts, and culture.
As a Northerner, an exceptional superior lifestyle awaits you for work and play. Shorter commutes provide work-life balance and the opportunity for the outdoor enthusiast to discover a richness of wilderness only moments away. We are the gateway to some of the most breathtaking experiences on earth.
If you truly enjoy the advantages of work life balance that a smaller city provides in a large organizational setting, then come join us!
If you already live here, we can’t wait for you to join our team!
The Deputy City Treasurer for the City of Thunder Bay provides Corporate-wide leadership and strategic functional direction, advice, and guidance on matters of policy, procedure, or precedent related to financial services. They lead change and continuous improvement projects within the Office of the City Treasurer and direct staff, who carry out the accounting, financial reporting, banking and investment, borrowing, budgeting, and procurement requirements of the Corporation.
This role reports to the City Treasurer with accountabilities such as:
- Responsible for the effective and efficient management of project review and consulting assignments in order to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the Corporation’s financial business processes; ongoing analysis of various Corporate Financial Information Systems (CFIS) business requirements; and various financial reports and analysis.
- As the Deputy City Treasurer for the Corporation, exercises powers with respect to the enforcement of the Municipal Act and associated regulations and performs duties in accordance with the standards established by the applicable code of conduct.
- Provides assistance to the Treasurer with the corporate budget, tangible capital asset accounting, general accounting, and documentation.
- Directs best practice reviews and recommends business process re-engineering with respect to CFIS and business processes.
- Directs development of business and accounting processes for the effective utilization of the City’s CFIS.
- Directs development of reports and financial statement specifications in the CFIS.
- Prepares financial reports, analysis, background material, and briefing notes.
- Provides assistance to the Treasurer with the preparation of annual consolidated financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles under the Public Sector Accounting Board of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants.
For a full detailed job description click here.
- Degree in business administration, commerce, mathematics, or a related discipline together with a professional accounting designation and a minimum of five years’ progressively responsible management experience in municipal finance or business management; or
- Diploma in business administration or a related discipline together with a professional accounting designation and a minimum of eight years’ progressively responsible management experience in municipal finance or business management
- Experience in a management capacity in a large, unionized government or private sector organization
- Experience in business management, planning, budgets, and finance
- Experience in the various components of human resource management
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret applicable legislation and related regulations and municipal by-laws.
- Superior ability to deliver presentations to a variety of audiences and to skillfully handle on-the-spot questions from senior officials, members of City Council, special interest groups, and the media.
Why Work for the City of Thunder Bay (CTB)?
When you work for the City of Thunder Bay, you are part of our team, and here you can:
- Experience your importance,
- Unleash your potential,
- Know your work matters,
- Embrace diversity,
- Make a difference,
- Join a dedicated team, and
- Build community.
Learn more about the top reasons to work at the CTB: Career Fair - City of Thunder Bay
Great Tangible Benefits
As an employee with the Corporation, you will be in receipt of the following amazing benefits:
- competitive salary
- matching pension plan
- paid vacation and holidays
- health benefits coverage – 100% employer paid health, vision, & dental benefits
- life insurance & accidental death & dismemberment insurance (2 times your annual salary)
- employee family assistance program (EFAP)
- employee wellness program
- corporate training & leadership development
- tuition reimbursement program (continuous learning)
- career progression opportunities
Beautiful Thunder Bay
Learn why Thunder Bay is such great place to live and work: https://gotothunderbay.ca/why-thunder-bay/
As an equal opportunity employer, the City of Thunder Bay encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups, women and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community.
ONTARIO HUMAN RIGHTS CODE: It is a contravention of the Human Rights Code of Ontario to discriminate on the basis of: race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, age, record of offences, gender identity or gender expression. Therefore, a resume submitted to the City must not include references to any of the above characteristics. Do not include:
- Any certificates that have photo identification
- Driver’s licences
- Police records checks
Note: The above documentation will be requested by the Human Resources & Division should you be the successful applicant. If a Criminal Record Check is required, it will be requested by Human Resources should you be the successful applicant. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
ACCOMMODATION: Reasonable accommodations are available upon request for all parts of the recruitment process.
PRIVACY: Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 302, as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment. Questions about this collection of personal information should be directed to the Human Resources & Corporate Safety Division, 125 Syndicate Ave Suite 42, Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7E 6H8, Telephone: 625-3866