Senior Financial Consultant
Are you a financial professional with accounting and financial planning and management experience? Are you someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment? Consider this exciting opportunity with the Ministry of Health to take your career to the next level and join our team!
The Physician and Provider Services Division (PPSD) is accountable for policy development, negotiations, and mediation or arbitration, where applicable, and the implementation of agreements between government and certain health care provider associations. The division recently modernized its organizational structure to better align with their business objectives and is looking for new staff who are ready to learn and are passionate about contributing to the lives of Ontarians through the work we do.
The Provider Negotiations Management Branch is a new branch, created to lead the negotiations process for the ministry with health care providers, including the Ontario Medical Association (OMA), the Association of Ontario Midwives, the Ontario Association of Optometrists, and the Ontario Dental Association.
Why work for the Ontario Public Service?
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
• Competitive compensation and benefits
• Flexible work arrangements
• Collegial and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• On-the-job training to support your success in the role
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful, and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code . Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• provide leadership and financial expertise in the development and implementation of financial tools, processes, controls and services in the effective management of financial resources, for assigned program(s).
• provide financial analysis and advice on a range of financial reporting, consolidation and controllership issues to support strategic fiscal management, and decision-making, and provide advice and recommendations to senior management on financial negotiation strategies for health service providers.
• develop investment expenditure forecasts/recommendations in support of negotiations and contribute to the development of programs, policies and guidelines.
How do I qualify?
You have knowledge of/the ability to gain knowledge of:
• government and ministry directions, related legislation, policies, accounting, auditing, financial planning and management principles, practices and standards.
• ministry and division financial and data management systems, ministry funding policy, formula and accountability mechanisms, accounting and financial principles, concepts and best practices in the areas of financial planning and management.
• health institutions/facilities financial administration policy and procedures.
• ministry programs and initiatives, and government and ministry financial, budget and business/financial planning policies, processes, requirements, and decision-making processes.
Leadership and Project Management Skills:
• You have effective project management skills to lead teams, coordinate data collection, analyze information and develop funding recommendations, and meet tight deadlines.
• You have strong leadership and coordination skills to lead and coordinate cross-functional teams, provide financial guidance/direction, conduct and facilitate meetings, and prepare recommendations and options.
Research, Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills:
• You have demonstrated experience conducting research, evaluation, and analysis to enhance overall financial accountability and accurate financial planning and management reporting.
• You can analyze, interpret, and assess financial information requests and provide recommendations to management.
• You can evaluate trends, standards and policies using different sources of information to identify future impact to the ministry, develop financial options and make recommendations.
• You have effective oral and written communication skills to consult with senior management and stakeholders on project and financial issues/processes and prepare various documents and reports.
• You have strong presentation and persuasion skills to provide specialized advice and briefings to senior management on financial issues and convince senior management on the most favourable option.
• You have demonstrated experience with computer operations, specifically with spreadsheet, database, financial analysis and presentation applications, to maintain and analyze information and produce various reports and presentations.
Salary Range: $76,382 - $112,555 Per Year
- 1 English Temporary, duration up to 18 months (with possible extension), 438 University Ave, Toronto, Toronto Region
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, by Tuesday, October 3, 2023, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers, and entering Job ID 203135 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.