Senior Financial Analyst (12 Month Contract)
The City of Markham is proud to be recognized for the 3rd consecutive year as one of Canada’s Best Employers, and ranked in the top three for Government Services by Forbes and Statista Inc! The City of Markham is a dynamic and change-oriented leader that stands out from other Canadian municipalities. The recipient of multiple environmental awards, we are recognized for our innovative sustainability and urban planning initiatives as much as for our fiscal accountability. More than 353,000 residents call Markham home and benefit from our rich heritage, culturally diverse environment, vibrant local economy and focus on quality of life.
Join us and make a lasting difference!
The City of Markham is seeking a Senior Financial Analyst to fill a temporary full time (12 month) vacancy within the Financial Planning Division of the Finance Department. To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter online at www.markham.ca/careers by September 24, 2023.
The Senior Financial Analyst is responsible for a diverse range of financial activities to support achievement of business objectives, including key financial planning and reporting processes. The Senior Financial Analyst will lead or support preparation and presentation of annual operating and capital budgets, provision of ongoing financial advisory service to client business, and reporting and analysis of outcomes. The Senior Financial Analyst will require a strong process focused mindset to lead or support key projects, such as reviewing financial opportunities, developing fiscal strategies, streamlining financial processes, and ensuring compliance with financial reporting standards. As an experienced Financial Analyst with demonstrated business acumen, problem solving and a strategic focus you will build trusted partnerships with clients, including senior management and City Council, and have the opportunity to influence business decisions in alignment with corporate financial goals.
Note: This position will require the ability to work extended hours during budgeting season or as occasionally required.
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of the annual capital budget through consultation with the business units in accordance with the financial policies and guidelines.
- Performs analysis and investigation of budget variances including both high level and activity level analysis of expenditures, revenues, complement, and other performance measures; forecasts expenditure and revenue patterns; highlights to management relevant financial issues with strategic and operational impacts; recommends options towards resolution of issues.
- Develops and maintains complex financial models and conducts sensitivity scenarios to evaluate financial alternatives and business cases for programs, projects and other initiatives based on a clear understanding of program needs and resource constraints.
- Research, analyze and interpret information and make recommendations for financial plans and special projects undertaken by the City.
- In conjunction with the business unit and procurement staff, prepare and analyze tenders/quotes/request for proposal reports, rationalizing budget to actual variances and long term financial impacts.
- Contribute to the creation of financial policies and procedures by participating in multi-discipline projects that address the operational and financial requirements of the City.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvements and compliance with corporate, financial and administrative directions and policies.
- Ability to work extended hours during budgeting season or as occasionally required.
- Successful completion of a degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, combined with either a CPA designation or an MBA. Consideration may be given to a combination of education and experience in a related discipline at an equivalent competence. (Please note: We are able to support CPA candidates in completing the requirements of the Experience Verification Route (EVR))
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of practical experience in a relevant position with progressive responsibilities in the areas of financial planning and analysis, preferably in a multi-divisional organization.
- Ability to read, interpret and apply complex legislative texts such as the Municipal Act.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles and practices: Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and/or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), and economic principles including strategic and financial planning.
- Experience in a public sector organization including knowledge of municipal funding sources, such as Provincial and Federal funding, Development Charges, Federal Gas Tax and provincial/municipal statutes and regulations is an asset.
- Experience with Tangible Capital Asset accounting as prescribed by the Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) is an asset.
- Experience with system and database administration considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate the needs of the organization and implications of business decisions towards advancing the corporate goals.
- Demonstrated ability to manipulate large amounts of data in order to update and maintain financial models, and prepare reports. Presents information logically and objectively.
- Strong problem solving and professional judgement in application of accounting principles or formulas to form financial assumptions and/or conduct statistical analysis to develop conclusions and/or to solve problems. Comfortable dealing with ambiguity.
- Strong communication (verbal and written), tact and persuasion with the ability to present information logically and objectively to influence decision making.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills to interact with diverse stakeholders, while exhibiting professionalism, honesty and integrity.
- Demonstrated strong initiative and the ability to work independently by taking ownership of assigned tasks.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills with a process improvement mindset.
- Values an environment of learning and collaboration.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Word.
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible, and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.
We thank all applicants who have applied. However, only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.